Computer Science Discoveries is an introductory computer science survey course targeted at upper middle school and lower high school (grades 7-9). The course takes a wide lens on computer science by covering topics such as programming, physical computing, HTML/CSS, and data.
The Computer Science Discoveries Professional Learning Program provides curriculum, lesson plans and professional development to middle school educators who are interested in teaching the course as either a semester or full-year class. The program prepares educators to provide high quality instruction based on the CS Discoveries curriculum. Participants join a nationwide network of educators working to change the face of computer science education.
How does it work?
The program has two components:
5-Day Summer Workshop- A hands-on summer workshop providing foundational experiences with computer science and the Code.org suite of tools. The week-long workshop is the primary capacity building experience for teachers prior to their first year of instruction. Participants will explore the curriculum and tools, consider and experiment with specific classroom management and teaching strategies, and build a local community of teachers who are using this curriculum. This includes an expenses paid trip to the assigned conference for your region.
Continuing Education– A blend of online and local in-person professional development options from which educators can build a customized personal learning pathway.
- 4 in-person meetings are run by local facilitators and spaced throughout the school year. They focus on the essential elements of the course, such as teaching new content, keeping the classroom environment equitable and engaging, and continuing to build pedagogical strategies.
- The online activities are focused on building the online professional learning community, providing continued support with tools and content, introducing new and helpful resources for teaching the course, and further exploring the curriculum.
Who can participate?
The program is open to teachers who are interested in teaching the Code.org CS Discoveries course. We prioritize educators who plan to teach the course to grades 7, 8 and/or 9. In order to participate, we ask that educators:
- Commit to participating in the full, year-long professional development program
- Work with their school administration to ensure that this course will be offered on the school’s 2017-18 master schedule
- Support the recruitment and enrollment of a diverse group of students in the course
Applications for the 2018-19 program will open this fall. Sign up here to receive an email when applications open.